Monday, November 8, 2010

We might be getting somewhere....

I want to be with you. If you can’t go, then I don’t want to go. If we are traveling together, sharing political space together, building political family together, then I want to be with you. I want us to be together. Mia Mingus, activist

I am overwhelmed by humanity. I was looking today for a job in the youth work/social justice community and realized that when I googled "Chicago youth," there appeared site upon site of wondrous things that we are doing in the world to uplift each other. This is the second time today that I have been moved to tears by joy. I am just so moved, in a time where I feel like there is so much pessimism, frustration and angst around me. People are searching for solutions, for answers, for something that makes sense in their lives. We, as humans, are moving, daily, sometimes by trial and error and to no avail. We are struggling to provide, to produce and to leave legacy.

"We must leave evidence. Evidence that we were here, that we existed, that we survived and loved and ached. Evidence of the wholeness we never felt and the immense sense of fullness we gave to each other. Evidence of who we were, who we thought we were, who we never should have been. Evidence for each other that there are other ways to live--past survival; past isolation." I am not "queer" or "disabled," the two pieces of her identity that Mia Mingus chooses to use in framing her words. And yet, this applies to me, my family, my neighbors, strangers. It is what it means to be human.

When I see the Young People's Project in Chicago or The Canvas in St. Paul, I am convinced that the little things matter and that they are connected to the biggest pieces of our lives. Love. Justice. Struggle. Energy. Love. We are surrounded by just as much positive energy, more maybe, than negative. You cannot convince me otherwise. And I am wholly, joyfully moved by your kindness, your power and your humility.

2 comments:

  1. I went to this new cafe/lounge yesterday, because they carry Stumptown coffee and I've known the owner/chef for a while now, but have never visited. I thought I'd be just hanging out and eating and drinking by myself, so I brought my book and my knitting - but no, this is Seattle, the city of 12 people, and the cafe is on Capital Hill, the neighborhood that I work in, so I walked up and saw a group of my friends sitting in the window.

    Over the course of the 3 hours I was there, I saw 2 coworkers, 2 significant others of coworkers, 3 or 4 of Stumptown's regular customers, and 3 friends (or at least acquaintances from a group of folks I spend time with.)

    So I sat down and joined my friend and her two friends, who I didn't know as well, and the cool thing is that after the two ladies left, my newest friend, Ben, and I got to really talk about things. As it turns out, he and his friends, who are all youngish collegish-age folks, used to get together and talk about social justice issues, so they decided to start something:

    http://ouramericangeneration.org/

    I so love meeting people who have chosen action as a result of their conversations! And find that their friends can be more than just the people they see at house parties, or cook dinner with (which are, of course, important ways to interact with friends), but can also be their collaborators, their community, they co-activists!

    Check out their organization, and then move to Seattle!! :D
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I just might have to take you up on that. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete